Monday, April 25, 2011

Pastor's Perspective - Smokey and the Bandit Conversion

Sometimes before I begin to teach/preach, and I have a lot of information to cover, I'll label it a 'Smokey and the Bandit teaching' - ie. I have a long way to go and a short time to get there!

I was thrilled to read this amazing conversion experience today shared by lead pastor Perry Noble at New Spring Church in South Carolina. This true life story from this past weekend only proves that God can not be limited to sweet and conventional evangelistic formulas only! This praise report proves that He'll use the 'foolish' things of the world to confound the wise. Enjoy!

I just received an email that absolutely blew me away…

This year for our Easter services one of my opening illustrations was taken from the movie “Smokey and the Bandit.” I talked about how in 1977 that I really wanted the Trans Am that was in that movie…and thought that if I could have it then I would never want anything else again.

Anyway, a family had been inviting a friend of theirs to NewSpring for three years and he finally came to a service last night. (Don’t EVER give up on people!!!) He did not pray to receive Christ during the service…HOWEVER…

On the way home he was listening to the radio and “East Bound & Down” by Jerry Reed (The theme song for “Smokey & the Bandit”) came on! When that happened he pulled his car over on the side of the road and surrendered his life to Christ!

1 comment:

Jim Killebrew said...

I like your blog and the illustrations you provide. Thanks for your postings.

If you have time to glance through some of my posts I would appreciate it greatly. Leave a comment if you like.

http://www.jimkillebrew.blogspot.com/