Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pastor's Perspective - Next Tuesday


Last Wednesday I restarted my weekly morning adult Bible study called ‘The Pie Club’. Our group of about 12 have begun an exciting expedition through the book of Acts.

Last week I shared the pertinent introduction stuff – author, place, recipients, themes, unique characteristics, etc. We got to Luke’s amazing account of Christ’s glorious and promised ascension before our time together ran out. The angels in the scene remind Jesus’ team that He will come back someday in the same fashion. So, we began to talk about some of those dynamics –personally, physically, suddenly, and the like. Then our group matriarch, Margaret Rickard, posed a question I’m posing to you today as a reader – “What if we knew Jesus was coming back next Tuesday. What would we do?’

The room fell awkwardly silent. I then asked each attendee what they would do, knowing that each believed that Jesus was coming back and that He would come back suddenly. The answers varied, some with tears; but there was a commonality that was unmistakable – “I would do whatever I had to to get my loved ones saved.”

What would you do if you knew Jesus was coming back next Tuesday?

1 comment:

jeramy sossaman said...

great question steve. it's a little overwhelming...but thought provoking for sure.