Monday, July 7, 2008

Pastor's Perspective - There's Nothing Like Family!


Dear FCC Family & Friends,

This past Saturday I had the beautiful opportunity to officiate a child dedication in Vallejo. A sweet young couple in the church went all-out and threw a big party in honor of God's kindness shown through His gift of their baby boy. As a pastor, I'm always honored to participate in the lives and histories of others. Oftentimes we as clergy are there when new life comes into the world, when spiritual new life begins, when marital life begins, and when lives leave this world for the next. Its a beautiful and humbling thing indeed.

I know that its dangerous to encapsulate an entire people in one sentiment, but I'm going to do it any way. I love all people; but, I've got to get something off my chest. Ready? Here goes. I ABSOULTELY LOVE FILIPINO PEOPLE! Ahhhh. That felt great! Why you might ask. Because its just downright true. In my four years of ministry here in NorCal, my love, admiration and appreciation for this beloved community has only increased. Let me explain my statement based on several personal observations:

My Filipino brothers & sisters love:

God - Such humble, serving, abiding faith is a priceless gem to FCC.
Each Other (Family)- They seek out opportunities to be together and serve one another in joy.
To Laugh - Smiles and joking are never in short supply.
To Eat - Enough food? Are you kidding me?!
To Sing - Karaoke rocks!

Saturday (and countless other times) I left that gathering so blessed by the spirit of humility and hospitality so beautifully manifested in the Filipino community. Elders were respected. People laughed. All ages were present,deeply enjoying each other. God was honored. Food and smiles were everywhere. Pictures were snapped. Songs were sung. Gifts were given. Life was celebrated. Culture was embraced. Everone showed up. Everyone belonged. Everyone pitched in. Did I mention food was everywhere?!

Again, I know its dangerous to make such broadstroke statements about an entire culture & people. Sure there's always a few bad eggs. But, I see in the Flipino spirit what I read about in my Bible - love for God and family - authentic love - something so rare in our generation and society.

I'm sincerely grateful for my Filipino brothers & sisters at FCC. If our Savior tarries and the good Lord allows, I look forward to many more years of making warm memories, eating a ridiculous amount of lumpia,and belting out #107 together! I love you dearly.

In the Fight,

Steve

10 comments:

Gena said...

Great post Steve. Sorry we missed the Karaoke!

jeramy sossaman said...

are you trying to say that you are Filipino?

drick said...

on behalf of my people... you are WELCOME.

Chelle said...

Great lessons that we can ALL learn! The importance of living life to the fullest, enjoying our family and friends, making great memories and reaching out to others.

Sharon said...

I thought you were Filipino?

Anonymous said...

Steve: I have seen the same thing. It is great to have them apart of our family. Doodad

jeramy sossaman said...

oh yeah....you're right bebe...he is Filipino!

Pastor's Perspective said...

OH! Did you guys THINK I was talking about people from the Philippines?! NO! I was giving my commentary on PHILIPPIANS!

jeramy sossaman said...

thanks for the clarification Steve-O

Natalie said...

Well P.S.K, (-: I married into a Filipino family and can say first hand that karoke and food is never in short supply! Um, I actually have no problem with doing a "lumpia" cooking class with those ladies at church who would like to know! LOL! I was VERY impressed with our Filipino brothers & sisters who came to the youth crab feed. They had such a table set-up that I was jealous!!! They had all kinds of wonderful sauces for the crab & a rice cooker!!! They really know how to go all out! We could all learn a lot I tell you...