Friday, June 13, 2008

Pastor's Perspective - Early Fathers Day Gift


Dear FCC Family & Friends,

Last night the Lord gave me an early Father’s Day gift – a timely reminder that moved me deeply.

Two weeks ago our four youngest performed splendidly at their first piano recital. They have been taking weekly lessons for several months from their grandmother (aka “Mae Mae”). Michelle and I just beamed with pride watching each of our little ones dressed in their Sunday best, sitting straight-backed on the piano bench pecking out such timeless classics as ‘Playing on the Monkey Bars’, ‘The Friendly Cat’, ‘Pat-A-Cake Pat-A-Cake’, and ‘It Aint Gonna Rain No More’. To reward their personal achievements, we bought them a summer gift they could all enjoy together – a small inflatable pool.

The pool is only thirteen feet in diameter, so its’ small, but, too big to drain and replenish regularly. So as ‘Dad on Duty’, in short order, I have become the keeper of the pool and an amateur chemist. Every day I run the pump, test the water, skim the surface for leaves and critters, and place a cover over it at nightfall. Which leads me up to last night.

As the sun was setting, I left my family and guests briefly to step outside and dutifully put the cover over the pool. Immediately I was seized by the sight of the area around it. There were wet swimsuits and towels everywhere, Barbie dolls in the grass, floatation “noodles” strewn all over, a new inflatable whale upside down against the fence, and a variety of various splashy things strewn all over the place. My mood began to plummet as I dialogued internally - “Couldn’t these kids at least throw this stuff up on the patio?” “Does stuff have to be everywhere?” “How long does it take to lay a wet bathing suit over a chair to dry?” “Do they not know where the trash can is?” “What would this whole thing look like if I didn’t tend to it daily?” “Why can’t…?” Then my Fathers Day gift came.

Just as quickly as my good mood was taking a flume ride, an inner voice stopped me. With skimming net in hand, the following comments and questions welled up inside of your pastor – “Be joyful that you have children”, “Be grateful that their bodies are strong and healthy, that they can play, splash and swim”, “Their laughter and enjoyment of this pool far outweighs any inconvenience you have”, “Smile son, it’s not that bad”, “Someday, you’re going to wish you had all of this back”.

Friends, my negative outlook quickly melted into humble choked-up gratitude to my heavenly Father. The skimming net even felt lighter! My desire to angrily vent was quickly translated and transformed into four lingering hugs of love and appreciation. So in the end, maybe I am a sucker. But what I do know is, as of last night, I’m thrilled to be my kid’s 45-year-old pool boy.

Thanks for the early gift Dad. It fit perfectly and was just what I needed.

9 comments:

Chelle said...

So true Babe! I agree 200%!!!

Anonymous said...

We sort of recieved the same kind of blessing this week! Kids are gifts on feet. Gifts we only get to see grow once. Amen preach!

jeramy sossaman said...

i'm glad my kids aren't the only ones that leave their junk...uh, I mean toys everywhere....they really drive me cra....uh...I mean...I really value their youthful spirits. THANK YOU LORD!

Cheryl said...

All too soon they'll grow up and your back yard will be clean... to clean... your a wise man to see those things as sign of a wonderful family! You're so blessed, and such a blessing to others!

joymkiefer said...

Here's a sign I keep on my desk: 'The kids just get bigger, moodier, dirtier, louder--and then, suddenly, like after a tornado, they're gone and it's way too quiet.' That's the phase we are about to enter. Enjoy this time with yours!

Anonymous said...

Way to make me cry at the airport! Seriously though, that is so sweet and a good reminder to stomp out the bad with the good.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Have I BEEN in this situation before!!! I am so thankful that our Heavenly Father knows what we need and knows HOW to let us know! As I sat here reading this, Bart was telling the kids about how they should clean up their cereal bowls and "there is no maid around here" speech! (which I by the way, am usually giving the kids) I summarized your pastors perspective for him and we both realized that this time is going so fast... Like the tornado, that Joy referred to, it will soon be over, and quiet! I think I may actually miss saying "kids! Its time to rescue the house!" )-: Thanks for sharing! -Natalie

james said...

gonna be quieter when Anni starts school in Sept. the first step toward the empty nest....and the clean yard/garage/livingroom/bathroom...you get picture...lol

Anonymous said...

Way to bring it home pastor. You speak the truth. Things are rapidly changing right before our eyes. Doodad