Monday, October 1, 2007

Pastor's Perspective - Walking By Faith


Dear FCC Family & Friends,

Today the Lord showed me through a child the simplicity of what life and responding to challenges is all about. I couldn’t wait to share it with you.

Each Monday morning I take our six-year-old Lily to an appointment in Fairfield, while Michelle stays home to teach the other three. It’s always a kick just to spend that daddy and Lily time together. Sometimes we sing silly songs. Sometimes we talk about life and friends. Sometimes she pretends she’s asleep, knowing I’ll wake her with a good tickle at the next stop light. One thing is quite predictable. She always turns her seat warmer up to the maximum resulting in a playful phenomenon we affectionately call “hot bootie”! Guess you gotta be there.

Another thing is predictable. As we walk through the parking lot Lily always reaches up and holds my hand. This morning as were walking I looked down to see that Lily had her eyes closed as we walked, something she had never done before.

“Lily, your eyes are closed. Are they really shut?”
“Uh-hum”
“Why are they closed?”
“I trust you.”
“Aren’t you afraid of the moving cars around us?”
“No.”
“What if I walked you right into a curb?”
“You wouldn’t.”
“Why Lil?”
“Because Daddy, you’ve never done that before.”
“Okay then. Do you trust me to lead you through the door up ahead?”
“Uh-hum”
“Sure your eyes are shut?”
“Uh-hum”

When we walked into the building I looked down at her sweet blonde head and said, “Lily, open your eyes!” As she did an angelic smile swept across her face as she jumped up and down . “See Daddy, I knew I could trust you! You never let go.”

Friends, as we walk through the short breadth of this thing called life, many challenges abound. Sometimes unexpectedly like a car quickly backing up across our path comes the report of loss, diagnosis, devastation. Sometimes like hard jagged curbs come hardships, challenge, disillusionment, memories, heartache and personal pain. Yet through it all, our Father never releases our hand, but instead encourages us to walk by faith, to trust Him in the darkness. Although His track record of hand-holding is impeccable, we sometimes stumble in our assessment of His ability to lead us through. Yet, He continues to prove His unconditional father’s love for us daily.

Someday in every future of every person reading this who has put their trust in Jesus Christ, a time will come when suddenly the things of earth will fade away. All of its toils and snares will be a fast-fading memory. Ripped away forever will be our blindness in a place brilliant with the illumination of a Savior’s face. You’ll realize in a second that He not only made this place available to you, He personally held your hand and led you every step of the way until you were safely inside. Can’t you just hear His voice now? – “Open your eyes.” And throughout all eternity, you and I will celebrate an everlasting and unfading song of truth with the Redeemed – “Daddy, we knew we could trust you! You never let go.”

In the Fight,

Steve

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
What a precious story of the trust Lily has for her daddy, and a great reminder that our heavenly Father has never and will never let go of our hand in those times when life throws us curves.
As an adult, I can reasonably rationalize and recognize that it has only been by the grace of God that I have come through some of the experiences I have had in my life.
Why then, are memories still so painful of certain events? I have such guilt because of this. I have forgiven (truly) and with each encounter I have seen my God's work.
I will always continue to close my eyes and trust Him to see me through, but will my painful memories continue?

Anonymous said...

God is so wonderful and it's so awesome to think that the creator of the Universe knows each one of us so intimately, more than we know ourselves even. We see his handprints not just in our own lives but in others too. He knows our pains and understands completely the inward groanings we can't fully grasp sometimes.
Celebrate Recovery is an effective program that God is all over and in. I remember when I started it, I just could not imagine the pain I carried with me my whole life would someday not only be dissolved but would open up the doors to forgiving others too. God does some amazing healing in CR and we have seen radical transformations not just in individuals but their families too. It's also wonderful being with other christians that are really all in the same boat. We have true trust and intimacy with each other. It's so encouraging to allow God to use us in supporting each other through the trials and pains we all face. Only He can turn tragedy into triumph.
Joel 2:25 says God will repay us for the years the locusts have eaten.
It is so comforting to know we can fully trust God.

Anonymous said...

Steve there's no doubt in my mind that God will never let go he is totally awesome, but my fear is of me letting go. I know I would not do it intentionally. But we must always remember for us not to let go of him. So cute Lily your teaching them well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, Thanks for sharing that awesome story. God is so good to give us examples in life that always draw him back to the wonders of him. Blessings from Arizona!