Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pastor's Perspective - Who Do You Fear?


'Why do you honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choice parts of every offering made by my people Israel?' - 1 Samuel 2:29 NIV

In this verse God is speaking to Eli the high priest. Eli's two sons (Hophni & Phinehas) also served as priests in Shiloh with their elderly father. However, they were wicked and self-serving; taking the best of the offerings given by the people to God. Eli knew about their disobedience and irreverence for God and did absolutely nothing; resulting in his sons' deaths, and a family curse.

I'm (Steve) troubled by the fact that so many self-identified "Christian" parents deal with their children in fear instead of faith. Fear is playing the "what if" game. "What if I make my children go to church with me. Maybe they will resent me later." "What if I discipline my children sternly. They might hate me later in life." In contrast, faith is simply taking what God said in His Word at face-value and doing it "what if"-free!

When it comes to church attendance and biblical discipline, do you honor your children more than God?

Remember! God called you to be the parent. If you want your kids to honor God throughout their lives, it begins with you honoring Him.

I look back on the many times my parents made me go to church as a kid, and love them for it. I remember being disciplined many times as a child, and I'm a better man today for it.

Friends, God knows what He's doing! Fear Him more than your children. They'll thank you some day for it.

No comments: