Friday, December 2, 2011

Pastor's Perspective - Encouragement to Encourage


During quail season in Georgia, an Atlanta journalist met an old farmer hunting with an old pointer at his side. Twice the dog limped gingerly ahead and pointed. Twice his master fired into the open air. When the journalist saw no birds rise, he asked the farmer for an explanation. "Shucks," grinned the old man, "I knew there weren't no birds in that grass. Buck’s nose ain't what it used to be, but him and me have had some wonderful times together. He's still doing the best he can -- and it'd be mighty mean of me to call him a liar at this stage of the game!"

We all need encouragement.

Like the little boy who said to his father, “Let’s play darts Daddy. I’ll throw them and you stand here and say ‘Wonderful!’”

We all need someone to come along sometime and say, “Wonderful!”

William Arthur Ward wrote, “Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will never forget you.”

We in the church need to be encouraged – even the pastor. Christ Himself needed the encouragement of friends and the encouragement of the Father.

Christ has called us to lives of faithfulness.

When we read Hebrews chapter eleven we are inspired by those saints of old who were characterized by faith. They are immortalized in Scripture! However, we must remember that they are remembered as members of the ‘roll call of faith’ against the dark and daunting backdrop of big challenges and harsh trials.

Big challenges.

Harsh trials.

Got any?

As I peck this, a young military couple in Sacramento is diligently praying for their newborn son born ten weeks prematurely. Likewise, a member of my former ministry is spending day and night by his severely injured Marine son’s side.

What do they need?

What do we all need?

Encouragement.

Nothing big and fancy.
Just a visit, a card, a call, an email, a text message.

Something.

Anything!

Something that reminds a person that they matter, what they are doing is worthwhile and appreciated, that they are not alone, that they can do it, that with God all things are possible.

The Apostle Paul knew this. He challenged a young congregation, “Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

Let’s face it. It’s easy to tear down, to share a comment hastily out of anger or frustration. We’ve all done it.

Personally, lifting the hood a bit and allowing you to peer into the pastor’s engine, I want to share a prayer request that God has never failed to answer in my life. Admittedly, many of my prayers have been answered with a ‘no’ or a ‘wait’. But one prayer has always been answered quickly and predictably. It’s such a proven prayer request that I only pray it when it’s absolutely necessary. The prayer request is simple and always sincere – “Father, encourage me.” And He does.

Will Rogers said, “We can’t all be heroes, because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as we go by.”

One of my favorite definitions of the church is this, “The church is a group of highly imperfect people who will convince you you can make it, then stand with you while you try.”

Remember, the best thing you can do behind a friend’s back is pat it!

Choose to encourage.

Somebody you know, like old Buck, is doing the best they can.

Somebody you know, like the little boy, needs to hear, “Wonderful!”

Choose to build up.

Choose to clap.

Choose to be unforgettable.

No comments: