Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pastor's Perspective - Ready Reserve


You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. - (Jesus) - Luke 12:40

Back in the mid-80's I flew for (the now defunct) Eastern Airlines in Atlanta. As a junior person straight out of flight school, I lived on 'ready reserve' several times a month. Ready Reserve was the status by which during certain specified days, from the time the airline called me, I had exactly 50 minutes to be at the airport and ready to go. So, on those days, I ensured that my flight bag was properly packed, I was well-groomed, my business at home was up-to-date, and that I was never disconnected from Eastern's ability to reach me - pagers back then. As a much younger version of me, I actually liked those ready reserve days. There was the constant adventure of wondering, 'When will I be called? " and "Where in North America will I be resting my head tonight?"

Here in Luke's gospel, Jesus instructs us to live life on 'ready reserve'. To be ready to travel, to be responsible and have our business updated here below, and to stay well-connected to Him. The difference for us as believers is, every day is a ready reserve day.

Are you ready to travel?

Only lives authentically connected to Jesus Christ truly are.

The great news is, if you are living every day on ready reserve, you can know where you'll lay your head tonight!

No comments: