Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pastor's Perspective - More Than Genetics


Today, before counseling someone in my office, I showed them photos of my family, while providing a brief commentary on each. As I identified each child by name, I took the time to share something endearing about them. By the time I got to the last photo, I have to confess, I got a bit misty. In that moment of just sharing a bit of myself, before hearing much about them, the Lord touched my heart and reminded me of His matchless love for Michelle and I through each precious face. Each face represented a miracle and Heaven’s sloppy kiss on our life together.

Before we married, we both knew that someday we wanted to be adoptive parents. We had no idea what a prominent place adoption would have in our marriage and home.

So many times during the last dozen years, we have heard sweetly-intended comments like, “How beautiful that you took these children into your home”, or, “They are so blessed to have you as parents.” Yet, it is Michelle and I who are blessed beyond measure! The joy and love our children give us daily eclipses anything we could ever provide them.

Real ‘family’ is more than genetics. It’s about the love of God mysteriously and miraculously interweaving souls for a greater purpose – His glory and our good.

If you’re opening your heart and mind to adoption, please know that the results far outweigh the concerns and effort. Thousands upon thousands of beautiful little ones, made in His image, are currently dreaming about you. They long for someone who will accept and love them without conditions; give them a name and place at the table; and offer them something they cannot give themselves – a family.

Once there were two women
who never knew each other.
One you do not remember
the other you call Mother.
One became your guiding star,
the other became your sun.
The first gave you life
and the second taught you to live in it.
The first gave you a need for love
and the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality,
the other gave you a name,
One gave you the seed of a talent
the other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions,
the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile,
the other dried your tears.
One gave you up--
it was all that she could do,
The other prayed for a child
and God led her straight to you.
And now you ask me through your tears,
the age old questions through the years,
Heredity or Environment--
which are you the product of?
Neither my darling-neither
just two different kinds of love.
Anonymous.

1 comment:

Nicky Peterson said...

WOW! So great Steve!

Thank you for sharing your heart!