Friday, April 13, 2007

Pastor's Perspective - The Ride

Dear FCC Family & Friends,

Yesterday I took my four little ones on a day trip to Mt. Diablo. For over two years now my family and I have enjoyed a beautiful view of the mountain from our back patio. Yesterday, with chamber of commerce weather and a few day-off hours on my hands, I loaded up the tater tots while Michelle stayed behind to spend time with a friend.

The day on the mountain together was very enjoyable for us all. From childhood I have always felt a strong magnetism toward mountains. As we read the Bible, we find that God loves mountains too, and used them in connection with many of His great feats of power, communication with mankind, and flagship showdowns and events.

From the summit we could see the entire Bay Area - from San Jose to the Sierras! The Holy Spirit reminded me of the time Christ was taken to the top of a high mountain and shown the kingdoms of the earth and tempted. However, at the end of the day, as I rewinded our time together in my head, and thought of all we experienced, the best part I concluded was the ride there.

On the way we swigged on water bottles, laughed loudly, told pathetic “knock knock” jokes, sang praise songs, sang really dumb songs, talked about things we wanted to do, discussed serious stuff, shared memories, shook our fists at the mountain tauntingly, and even enjoyed (limited) quiet. The ride was amazing – at least for Daddy.

Are you enjoying the ride?

Sometimes we get so caught up in the destination, that we miss experiencing the ride. There is nothing wrong with ambitions and goals, but what about the in-between times? Are you enjoying “on the way”? The ride is the little dash on every gravestone separating the birth date from the death date. That dash represents a lot.

My prayer for you is that that dash includes knowing and experiencing God, sharing and receiving with God’s people, enjoying your family and friends, living with contentment, speaking kindly of others (Imus!), making rich memories, having fun, and leaving a legacy of kindness and love.

You’ve heard the cliché, “Half the fun is getting there.” Wrong! With Jesus Christ – ALL the fun is getting there!

Ironocally, I’ll be talking about “fun” this Sunday while sharing Part 4 of our Core Values series. Come early to visit the 4th Watch (celebrating its 2nd anniversary!), attend Sunday School, and get good seats. WARNING! Sitting in the ‘Splash Zone’ (area in front of the baptistery) may result in wet clothes. We’ve had 21 baptisms so far in 2007, with more coming this weekend!

Don’t forget INVOLVE 5:6 on Sunday, May 6th!

In the Fight,

Steve

1 comment:

jeramy sossaman said...

"the ride"....hmmm....I think "the ride" seriously depends on "who's riding with you" and the state of those "riding with you". For instance...if my kids are fighting in the car...the ride is less enjoyable...but if they are "riding" in the luggage rack on top of the car...then yes...I'll agree that "the ride" can be good. You got lucky my friend! :-)