Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pastor's Perspective - "Little" Things

Dear FCC Family and Friends,

Funny how the Lord uses the little things to touch us in a big way.

Yesterday Michelle called me at the church to tell me that Lily was sick with a bug. Naturally I was saddened to know that the baby of our family was feeling puny. Fearing dehydration, my wife told me that because of the unpleasant manifestations of the illness that she was unable to load up the kids and go to the store. Seeing an opportunity to step into a phone booth and wear the big Daddy super-hero “D” on my chest, I broke away to buy our 5-year-old “Little” her favorite color of Gator-aid (yes, color). When I got home I saw that my dear bride was ill also with a fever and body aches. Sickness – the game the whole family can play!

Upon arriving home my heart broke when I saw Lily curled up on the couch – her sweet little head on a pillow and a bowl at her side. Clearly she felt terrible. Very lethargic, she let Daddy pray for her and then in a weak voice asked for a drink “with a straw.” Throughout the day she quietly dozed in and out of sleep.

After dark I noticed that our two family vehicles were still parked in the street in front of our home and needed to be pulled into the garage and driveway. Grabbing the keys I told Chelle that I was going to move the vehicles and that I’d be right back. As I was walking out the front door, surprisingly, Lily said, “Daddy, I want to go with you.” I replied, “Lily, you’re sick. Plus, I’ll be right back. I’m just moving the cars.” She insisted.

As we walked together down the walkway toward the street on a beautiful starry Fairfield night, Lily’s little hand grabbed mine. I looked down and saw nothing but blonde hair and a little swaying nightgown in the moonlight. In that unanticipated mundane moment, the Lord reminded me of the miracle of little things. For just a few fleeting minutes, my sick child wanted to spend time with her Daddy – no hidden agenda or motivation – just us – together.

Friends, are you waiting for the “big things” to come your way before lavishing your gratitude on God? If you are, you’re missing the miracles of the mundane – the supernatural in the obscure. I challenge you to look today for the fingerprints of the Lord in the “every day”. I encourage you to look for the Divine in the daily.

Funny how the Lord uses the little things to touch us in a big way.

In the Fight,

Steve Kiefer
www.1stchristianchurch.org

INVISION 3:31

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee wiz....what are you trying to do ....make me cry at work???

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how we rush through life, in such a hurry and yet...for a moment, we catch those little glimpses of "the Divine."
I know, as our family is packing up to leave our "Fair-Field" that the beautiful green rolling hills seem greener. Yes- those same hills weeks ago I didn't even see because I was busy shaking my fist at the traffic rather than enjoying the beauty all around us.
We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place. The harbor, the rolling green hills, the flowers blooming...all just asking for a little attention, just like Lily.
I hope everyone will take just a few moments to look around and see the Glory of His Handiwork.
We are so blessed!